Incorporating Integrative Medicine Into Your Psychiatric Practice
If you are interested in incorporating Integrative Medicine into your psychiatric practice by participating in the Psychiatry Master Class on October 14-16, 2016 taking place in Denver, CO. The course will be taught by Dr. Scott Shannon, MD, integrative psychiatrist.
What You’ll Learn
Over the last five years the interest in Integrative Psychiatry has exploded. A few textbooks exist, but there have been no specific training programs taught by experienced psychiatrists as this young field matures. The Integrative Psychiatry Master Class corrects that glaring shortfall. We have designed a program that supports the practicing psychiatrist and targets the ability to quickly apply these tools in a busy clinical practice upon completion. It covers the full range of clinical problems encountered in an active practice: ADHD, depression, anxiety, PTSD, bipolar disorder, psychosis and OCD.
The program is built in three phases:
- Pre-seminar webinars that deliver a didactic foundation.
- A live seminar built around case study, dialogue and interaction that maximize the ability to resolve individual concerns and questions (Thursday evening – Sunday afternoon).
- Post seminar conference calls with case presentations, implementation strategies and a one-on-one phone call designed to mentor and address your specific needs.
To maximize the educational value of this program attendance is limited to 32 individuals. Applications will be reviewed on a first come first served basis. We fully expect this program to fill very quickly given the pent up demand.
Course Director: Scott Shannon, MD
Below is a general outline of the topics that will be presented at the conference.
- Medications in Psychiatry
- Micronutrients & Multi-Ingredient Formulas
- Hormonal Issues in Psychiatry
- Gut & Metabolic Issues in Psychiatry
- The Inflammation & Autoimmune Connection
- Philosophy & Principles of Mental Health
- Theoretical Frontiers in Psychiatry
- Trauma & PTSD
- Environmental Contributions to Mental Health
- Diagnosis & Assessment in Challenging Psychiatric Patients
- Laboratory Assessments in Psychiatry
- Q&A: Intake, Diagnosis & Assessment Issues
- Panel Cases: Diagnostic Dilemmas
- Preventing Physician Burnout: Healing for the Healer
- Depressive Disorders: Panel on Treatment Decision Making
- Depressive Disorders: Panel on Difficult Cases
- Bipolar Spectrum Disorders: Panel on Treatment Tools & Dilemmas
- Bipolar Spectrum Disorders: Panel on Difficult Cases
- Anxiety Disorders / PTSD / OCD: Panel on Treatment Tools
- Anxiety Disorders / PTSD / OCD: Panel on Difficult Cases
- Special Populations: Seniors & Pregnancy
- ADHD: Panel on Treatments & Cases
- Psychosis & Schizophrenia
- Panel: Practice Management & Models
- Implementation Strategies
- Case Review & Presentation
Each participant will receive a 30 minute mentoring call with one of our faculty members.
*Modifications may be made to this outline leading up to the conference.
This seminar is designed for the psychiatrist or mental health professional with some background in this field. This is not an introductory program. We encourage you to prepare for the live conference with the following resources: please plan to attend the five webinars, read each of the suggested articles, and dig into the course textbook. Instructions on how to access the Suggested Articles list will be sent to registered participants prior to the first webinar. The focus of the program will be in the management of patients with an integrative/holistic approach. To qualify you must be a licensed health care professional-typically a psychiatrist, PA, psychiatric-NP or possibly an ND.
Dr. Scott Shannon MD, ABIHM, has been involved in holistic medicine since he joined the American Holistic Medical Association in 1978 as a founding member. Scott has been instrumental in the creation of a holistic and integrative perspective in psychiatry for two decades.
In 2010 he founded the country’s largest and most comprehensive integrative mental health clinic, Wholeness Center, in Fort Collins. Scott is trying to change the paradigm of psychiatry by providing a 5-day integrative intensive as an alternative to hospitalization. Norton published his latest textbook for professionals, Mental Health for the Whole Child in 2013 and his book for parents, Parenting the Whole Child in 2014. This fall he will be leading an in depth training in Integrative Mental Health called the Integrative Psychiatry Master Class.
LawrenceE Cormier, MD, ABIHM, ABPN, is an integrative psychiatrist providing holistic care for adults and seniors, and emphasizes the use of nutritional, hormonal and herbal medicine. He has an eclectic background including cross-cultural psychiatry, gero-psychiatry, and yoga- and Buddhism-informed practices, having been director of mental health services for the Navajo Indian Health Service in Shiprock, NM, and a full-time geriatric psychiatrist at the MH Institute at Pueblo, CO.
Larry’s passion as a clinician dedicated to assisting patients achieve symptom relief, recovery and wholeness led to his integrating CAM into his Denver, CO private practice during the 1990s. Besides a solid foundation in contemporary psychiatry and a focus upon the biological substrate in integrative psychiatry, he is also an eclectic psychotherapist with broad training and experience who brings a sensitivity to attachment and traumatic stress issues to both the psychotherapy experience and the consultation setting.
During the past decade Larry’s been an active proponent of peer support and education for like-minded and aspiring colleagues, for several years hosting a regional integrative psychiatry peer support and study group. He is an original member of a similar metro-wide holistic physician and CAM practitioners group, as well as a Buddhism-Psychotherapy group. Larry was a national speaker at both Micronutrients for Mental Health forums (2009 and 2011), and at the Body, Mind & Spirit holistic treatment of addiction conference in 2010, co-sponsored by the Alliance for Addiction Solutions of which he is a member.
He recognizes that his patients have been some of his most precious teachers, and looks forward to humbly sharing his clinical experience with you, as well as his professional journey as an integrative psychiatrist/mental health practitioner.
For more information, or to sign up for the Psychiatry Master Class, please visit http://www.psychiatrymasterclass.com/.